FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Contact: Nicole Vasile
Director of Communications
THE COUNCIL OF INSURANCE AGENTS & BROKERS ELECTS UNISON RISK ADVISORS’ ROBERT J. KLONK AS 2022/2023 CHAIR
Washington, D.C. – October 11, 2022 – Robert J. Klonk, Chairman and CEO of Oswald – a Unison Risk Advisors Company, was elected the 2022/2023 Chair for The Council of Insurance Agents & Brokers (The Council) during The Council’s 109th annual Insurance Leadership Forum (ILF) in Colorado Springs, CO. Klonk succeeds Nancy Mellard, EVP and General Counsel of CBIZ Benefits & Insurance Services Division.
As chair of The Council, Klonk leads a team of officers including Vice Chair Keith T. Schuler, InterWest Insurance Services, Sacramento, CA; Treasurer Andy Barrengos, Woodruff Sawyer & Co, San Francisco, CA; and Secretary John M. Howard, Truist, Charlotte, NC.
“The Council plays an important role in galvanizing our industry around important issues on Capitol Hill, within our communities and on behalf of the employers we serve,” said Klonk. “That focus and intention is going to be crucial as our industry continues to tackle inflationary challenges and market volatility, as well as an intensely competitive talent market.”
Klonk joined Oswald Companies in 1995 and came to hold the position of EVP and Director of the Group Benefits Division before advancing to President and CSO of the company in 2010. He was appointed CEO of Oswald in 2013 and was promoted to the dual role of Chairman and CEO in 2020. Unison Risk Advisors was established in 2021 following the strategic merging of Oswald Companies and RCM&D. Klonk has previously served as Chair of CouncilPAC, the Council’s Political Action Committee, and as Chair of the Council of Employee Benefits Executives (CEBE), which drives the association’s benefits policy agenda.
“As a longstanding Board member, Bob has an in-depth understanding of how The Council operates and how we can best leverage our programs and resources to support our membership,” said Ken A. Crerar, President/CEO of The Council. “Bob’s strength as a leader and passion for our industry is a tremendous asset to our Board and our members, and I look forward to what we’ll accomplish in 2023.”
In addition to Klonk’s appointment, The Council welcomed four new Board members whose terms begin Jan 1, 2023:
- Kate Bang; USI; Shaker Heights, Ohio
- John Eltham; Miller Insurance Services; London, United Kingdom
- Pete Gruenberg; OneDigital; Warren, New Jersey
- Jeff Rodriguez; Brown & Riding Insurance Services; Dallas, Texas
The following Board members have been re-elected to new terms which begin Jan 1, 2023:
- Kate Armfield; AHT Insurance – A Baldwin Risk Partner; Tampa, Florida
- Chris Boone; Cadence Insurance; Jackson, Mississippi
- Michael Christian; Risk Strategies; Boston, Massachusetts
- Lori Goltermann; Aon; Chicago, Illinois
- Tom Hughston; Roach, Howard, Smith & Barton; Dallas, Texas
- Peter Krause; Marsh McLennan; Johns Creek, Georgia
- Hiram Marrero; Lockton; Miami, Florida
- Kerry Morris; Morris & Garritano; San Luis Obispo, California
- Jacques Verlingue; Verlingue; Quimper, France