Council Foundation Logo Leaders Edge

September 11, 2017

Hurricane Harvey/Irma – Disaster Assistance

FEMA issued this fact sheet to address confusion on whether proof of a denial of claims is necessary to qualify for FEMA individual assistance. The official notice states:

  • If you have flood and/or homeowners insurance and believe you incurred a covered loss, you should file a claim with your insurance carrier.
  • Though the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) does not cover additional living expenses, you may be eligible for this type of assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for your uninsured or underinsured disaster-caused expenses or serious needs, including temporary housing assistance.
  • If you have NFIP flood insurance, you are not required to provide evidence that your insurance company denied your claim for the disaster caused-loss to be eligible for temporary housing assistance from FEMA. (Note: You will still need evidence that you’ve been denied by your flood insurance for structure or contents losses if you’re seeking FEMA assistance for those losses.)
  • If you only have homeowners insurance that does not cover flood — and have sustained only flood damage — you are not required to submit documentation that your carrier denied your claim to receive FEMA rental assistance or financial assistance for real or personal property disaster-caused damage.

Go to or call 800.621.3362 to register for assistance. We’ll keep you posted on further notices as available.

Please contact Joel Wood at or Joel Kopperud at with any questions.