Maximize the Industry’s Future Talent in Your Firm
Studies show that internships are the insurance brokerage industry’s most successful tool in the recruitment of college students. In light of that, part of The Council Foundation’s mission is to bring fresh, diverse talent into the brokerage sector by way of internships with Council member firms. The best interns have an opportunity to be nominated for a $5,000 scholarship.
How does it work?
Participating member firms will nominate their best undergraduate interns to receive a scholarship using the process and criteria outlined below. A Scholarship Committee will review all applications and make final decisions heading into the next academic year. The Council Foundation will provide 75 total scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Recipient Eligibility Criteria:
- Enrolled full-time in a bachelor’s or associates degree program at an accredited education institution
- Entering into junior or senior year
- In good academic standing with university (minimum of a 2.0 GPA)
- Currently in or completed an internship at a Council member firm
An application will be deemed complete if it includes each of the following:
- Completed on-line Scholarship Application Form, including essay question
- Letter of Nomination from the insurance brokerage internship provider, indicating why firm believes intern candidate should be awarded scholarship
- Copy of current college transcript
- A three-minute video answering a question pre-determined by The Council Foundation.
Applications missing any of the above documentation will not be considered for a scholarship.
Submission of Application:
Completed applications will be submitted online with all required documents and video according to the timeline below.
Online Application Opens: Students will be able to complete the online application.
Application Deadline: Submissions received after August 2 will not be reviewed. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all materials have been submitted.
August 7 – 11
Applications reviewed according to attached scoring guidelines for scholarship application. The Scholarship Selection Committee will be chaired by Ken Crerar, The Council’s President/CEO.
Council Foundation Scholars notified: All finalists will be notified via email of their status and scholarship awards will be sent out accordingly.
Council Foundation Scholarship Awards will be disbursed directly to the recipient’s university via ACH payment or mailed check. This information is required in the application form.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will focus on the following items, not in any specific order, during the review of applications:
- Applicant’s emphasis on the brokerage sector of the insurance business
- Applicant’s knowledge of the role of the insurance broker and the importance of the distribution channel
- Applicant’s overall creativity and effort taken with scholarship application submission
- Applicant’s work experience and culture fit with The Council member firm they employed with
- Applicant’s potential to work in insurance brokerage immediately following graduation
- Applicant’s enthusiasm regarding a lifetime career in insurance brokerage
- Applicant’s understanding of The Council’s role in the insurance industry
Contact The Council’s Cheryl Matochik, SVP, Strategic Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.