Maximize the Industry’s Future Talent in Your Firm
Studies show that internships are the insurance brokerage industry’s most successful tool in the recruitment of college students. In light of that, part of The Council Foundation’s mission is to bring fresh, diverse talent into the brokerage sector by way of internships with Council member firms. The best interns have an opportunity to be nominated for a $5,000 scholarship.
In awarding the scholarships, the selection committee will look for candidates who have the potential to excel as leaders and contributors in the commercial insurance brokerage business sector.
How does it work?
Participating member firms will nominate their best undergraduate interns to receive a scholarship using the process and criteria outlined below. A Scholarship Committee will review all applications and make final decisions heading into the next academic year.
2018 Key Dates
June 29 Online Application Opens
August 8 Application Submission Deadline
August 13 – 17 Application Review
August 22 Council Foundation Scholars Notified
August 29 Council Foundation Scholarship Award Disbursement
Recipient Evaluation Criteria:
- Keen interest in insurance advisory
- Leadership potential
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Academic merit
- Attention to detail
Recipient Eligibility Criteria:
- Enrolled full-time in a bachelor’s or associates degree program at an accredited education institution
- Entering into junior or senior year
- In good academic standing with university (minimum of a 2.0 GPA)
- Currently in or completed an internship at a Council member firm
An application will be deemed complete if it includes each of the following:
- Completed on-line Scholarship Application Form, including essay question
- Letter of Nomination from the insurance brokerage internship provider, indicating why firm believes intern candidate should be awarded scholarship
- Copy of current college transcript
- A three-minute video answering a question pre-determined by The Council Foundation.
Applications missing any of the above documentation will not be considered for a scholarship.
Submission of Application:
Completed applications will be submitted online with all required documents and video according to the timeline above.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will focus on the following items, not in any specific order, during the review of applications:
- Applicant’s emphasis on the brokerage sector of the insurance business
- Applicant’s knowledge of the role of the insurance broker and the importance of the distribution channel
- Applicant’s overall creativity and effort taken with scholarship application submission
- Applicant’s work experience and culture fit with The Council member firm they employed with
- Applicant’s potential to work in insurance brokerage immediately following graduation
- Applicant’s enthusiasm regarding a lifetime career in insurance brokerage
- Applicant’s understanding of The Council’s role in the insurance industry
Contact The Council’s Cheryl Matochik, SVP, Strategic Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.